Going home from the NICU can be both an exciting and also a little scary. However, you are not alone!
New parents never expect to end up in the NICU with their baby, having to turn over the care of the most precious member of their family to strangers. Whether having the opportunity of a NICU Tour, or walking into the NICU for the first time, we know it is overwhelming with anxiety, fear of the unknown, frustration, and feeling out of control can be all-consuming.
Special Kids, Special Care, is dedicated to supporting parents of premature babies and babies who have been in the NICU so that they have a smooth transition home and receive a “warm handoff” to their community healthcare team. The community healthcare team includes experienced and knowledgeable providers who can provide information, resources, education, infant development support, and emotional support after discharge from the NICU.
- Parents should be offered a phone call or home visit after discharge to check on any questions or concerns
- Parents should feel supported in reaching whatever breastfeeding goals they might have
- Parents should have support so that they do not feel alone or isolated
- Parents should have access to mental health supports when needed
- Parents should have someone to reach out to for questions about their babies unique development
- Parents should have access to resources about their basic needs, insuance, and financial assistance
Relationships are built through trust, compassion, integrity, cultural sensitivity, and shared goals.
A community of support for families of premature babies and babies who need special care is culturally responsive, competent, and relevant to their needs.
Parent engagement and community partnerships will increase awareness, advocacy, and collaboration that transform the NICU parent experience.
Barbara J. Deloian, PhD, RN, CPNP, IBCLC
Special Kids, Special Care Inc.
Board of Directors:
Renee Charlifue-Smith MA, CCC-SLP
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine
Associate Director, Shire.
Paul Egan CPA
Egan Ravarino, LLC.
Pegasus Communications, LLC
Sarah McNamee, LCSW, MBA
Owner, McNamee and Associates, LLC
Paulina Erices, IBCLC
Maternal and Child Health Specialist
Jefferson County Department of Public Health
Barbara J. Deloian, Ph.D., CPNP, IBCLC
Paulina Erices, BS, IBCLC, RLC IMH-E® Infant Family Specialist
Sarah McNamee, LCSW, MBA, IMH-E (Mentor)
Chris Russell, BSN, Certified NCAST and PIPE Instructor