Premature infants are at greater risk for infant mortality due to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or Sudden Unknown Infant Death Syndrome (SUID), especially infant born to families facing health Inequities. As a result, Special Kids, Special Care has provided wearable sleep sacs and infant cribs through Cribs for Kids® to families of premature and medically fragile infants transitioning home from the NICU through the NICU staff and public health nurses.
We are also partnering with the Colorado Infant Safe Sleep initiative to identify education materials and resources.
Safe Sleep Going Home Program
- Wearable sleep sac blankets
- Infant Cribs through the Family Support Grant Program
- Infant cribs
- In-home Lactation Consultation
- Respite Care
- Supplies to support development and safety
Safe First Year for Professionals
The death of an infant in the first year of life is one of the most devastating challenges a parent can face. We have developed this Web page for professionals and especially parents so that they can easily access information, resources, and education that will help to ensure that all infants have a “Safe First Year.”
Professionals – Curriculum Resources
We ask that healthcare professionals who submit a request for an infant crib through the Family Support Grant Program review the following education materials provided by Cribs for Kids(R).
After reviewing the following education materials, you will be able to understand the following:
- The evidence that supports the “Back to Sleep” initiative. The ABC’s of Safe Sleep – What Every Caregiver Should Know
2. Ten safety measures parents need to be aware of to keep their baby safe the first year of life
3. How to set Up the Portable Playard Pak n’ Play
Video Link: Portable Payard Pak n’ Play Set Up
4. Location for Cribs for Kids Parent Education Materials
5. Location of Cribs for Kids(R) Resources – Cribs for Kids(R) Safe Sleep Academy
6. First Candle Video Safe Sleep by First Candle
7. NICHD (National Institute on Child Health and Development) Parent Education Video – NICHD Safe Sleep for Your Baby
NEW INFORMATION – SAFE SLEEP AND BREASTFEEDING VIDEOS AND HANDOUTS
NICHD Learn more about ways to practice safe infant sleep and breastfeeding
- The Breastfeed Your Baby to Reduce the Risk of SIDS
- Breastfeed Your Baby to Reduce the Risk of SIDS (Full Length/1:20)
- Audio Descriptions
- Watch other segments in this series.
Colorado Infant Safe Sleep Initiative Resources Colorado Safe Sleep Training and Resource Page
Parent Education and Resources
Cribs for Kids Materials